3B2/600 questions

Steve Johnson scj at casux4.uucp
Fri Nov 24 03:10:39 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov22.162738.10433 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>If your machines crash often enough to be a problem maybe you *should*
>replace them...

Except that when WE run RFS between machines that COEXIST with MANY other
(non-AT&T, heterogenous) machines on the same ethernet LAN, *crashes* of
our machines are often related to RFS crashes.  It seems that packets NOT
destined for RFS or even our boxes *somehow* cripple our (nearly new,
current software) 3B2/(600,700,1000*) machines into panic'ing (stream
resource related panics).  Tuning is not an issue (for instance, /etc/crash
shows no failures for strstat, no other errors either, either from crash
or other daemons and logs).

>Anyway, you should not have to restart RFS because any single node
>goes away.

Agreed, you *should* not have to restart.  But, on the same LAN as
mentioned above, *with* a secondary properly defined, our entire RFS
network often comes down, HARD, when the primary server RFS crashes.
Additionally, ( serious, but we are :-) with RFS OVERALL) we often have
to REBOOT the primary server after an RFS crash to gain any RFS sanity.

Tests done in *isolation* from the rest of our normal LAN neighbors show
*near complete* RFS stability.  We believe that RFS *just cannot cope*
with the MANY protocols and other network traffic on the LAN.  Storms
are sometimes, but not always an issue here.

I really do like the overall stability of AT&T 3B2 products, both
hardware and software, but in case some offense is taken, I'm
putting on asbestos shorts! ;-)

Bye!