7300 and 9600 baud modems (VT220 suggestion, and question)

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Thu Nov 30 19:14:13 AEST 1989

In article <4197 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>The comment: here at Wesleyan U., which uses lots of VT220's and VT320's,
>the recommendation is always to set up the Communications Setup screen
>with the Limited (as opposed to Unlimited) Transmit option.  Perhaps
>changing your choice there (whichever you've chosen) _may_ help you stop
>losing characters.

In the unix-pc.general newsgroup, someone mentioned that in the way the
machine was designed that it was incapable of running both serial ports
in this manner at the same time.

The solution is one I mentioned at Usenix in June which was to make an
intelligent ports card for the UNIX-pc.  Good luck! :-)

>The question: may I assume that "calling at Trailblazer speed" directly
>from the UNIX-pc is essentially error-free for you?
>[...]and I don't want to have to run it at 2400 on account of lost
> characters at higher speeds.)
>Thanks for listening.	-- Fred (FLinton at eagle.Wesleyan.EDU) Linton

Communications between a serial port and the console are relatively (if
not completely) flawless.  If you set-up your Trailblazer according to
Lenny Tropiano's tb-setup scripts and use hardware flow control, you
can (to any reasonable expectation) assume that the Trailblazer is as
good as being there.  I, myself, have never gotten ANY line noise running
using PEP, but I definitely have at 2400 baud.

If you need the tb-setup script, check-out the posting I made to the unix-pc
distribution about the ICUS archives, or e-mail me for more information.

-----