3b1 Terminal & Scrreching Noise

Tanya Katz tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM
Sat Nov 18 01:52:06 AEST 1989

In article <1809 at naucse.UUCP> sbw at naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
> In article <1223 at adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:
>>On Sunday Morning, about 7:30 am, just after my husband complained
>>that I left the computer on and it was "noisy,"  tfk, my home machine
>>must have taken offense to his remark, because it started to emit
>>a high pitched whine.
>
>When I had this, I ended up having to replace the monitor - the sound
>was (he thinks) the flyback transformer dying.  Took a few weeks from
>the first appearance of the screams to the final death, but it was
>an absolute death.  If you started getting the gibberish on the screen,
>you might want to start talking to someone about buying a new monitor
>(fortunately, they are pretty cheap).
>
>--
>	Steve Wampler
>	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

This may be a naive observation, but here goes:

Is it necessary to dispose of the entire terminal when the flyback
transformer goes?  Can't this part be replaced?  (If only the terminal
can be opened up?)

-Tanya

| Tanya Katz                  (516) 231-5400 x430 |
|	...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya                |
| 	tanya.katz at adds.newyork.ncr.com           |
| ADDS Inc, 100 Marcus Blvd, Hauppauge, NY 11788  |