3B2/600 questions

andrew.d.hay mvadh at cbnews.ATT.COM
Thu Nov 30 23:41:52 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov29.052142.2137 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
"I'm inclined to consider UPS's as a part of the cost of the machine, having
"had to replace several expensive system boards due to power fluctuations
"before buying them. The data integrity is just gravy...

i'm surprised (well, a little, anyway) that small machines -- which i
define as machines designed to be used outside a controlled
environment -- don't have power conditioning and limited battery
holdup *built*in*.
the battery would only have to last for a few minutes -- long enough to
catch sigpwr and shut down. (perhaps init s would be the fastest way...)
this would be redundant if you have a real ups, but it would still give
you a little extra insurance against system problems.

--
42 Authority		|	  Zaphod Beeblebrox is now appearing in	       |