Laser Printer on 3B1

doug at marque.mu.edu doug at marque.mu.edu
Mon Oct 23 01:58:09 AEST 1989

Our office staff and faculty members use troff for letters, reports,
papers, and all sorts of other things.  It takes a very short time to
break someone in to use troff, and the portability and flexibility
help to justify the breaking in.  It helps of course if you have a
screen-based previewer available, and a laser printer is a must.

On our campus Tex is the language of choice outside this department
for such matters; this includes such things as dissertations in the
philosophy and theology departments.  Within our department Tex is
used for papers in mathematics in general.  Our public safety office
uses troff/nroff extensively.

The point is: quit listening to those folks who say that grap/pic/troff
are hard to teach and hard to learn and spend some time teaching and
learning it.  You'll be suprised.