nroff page offset

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Fri Oct 6 22:12:09 AEST 1989

In article <189 at zebra.UUCP>, vern at zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:

> Can someone give me a clue how I can offset the output of a manual page
> to the right about a half inch.

the top of the document while Michael Chin suggested making a new file
with the appropriate indentation.  Using both suggestions, I came up with
the following shell script.

------------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

until [ $# = 0 ]
do
	if [ -f $1 ]
	then
		echo 'Queuing '$1
		echo '.po 1.0i' > /tmp/doroff
		cat $1 >> /tmp/doroff
		nroff -Tfx-12 -man /tmp/doroff | lp
	fi
	shift
done

----------------------------- end of script -------------------------------

This lets me sit in a directory full of 'roffed manual pages use the
command:

vern 266 > doroff *

or:

vern 266 > doroff compress.1

and I don't have to edit the docs by hand.  Easy when you know how.

Thanks again to Mike and Mike and also to the good neighbor who called
on the phone.  I want to apologize for sounding flaky, I was up all night
like many computer idiots and I was asleep when the phone rang.

In this effort, I did learn by myself of how to get my 9 pin Epson from
stuttering over the multi-strikes which nroff issues instead of italics.
I added:

iton        "\0334"
itoff       "\0335"

to '/usr/lib/nterm/tab.fx-12'.  See 'nterm(5)' in the back of User's
Manual, Volume 1, for the 3.51 version of Unix on the 3b1.

vern -
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780