smgr keeps dying ???

3673,ATTT wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Wed Oct 25 06:41:53 AEST 1989

In article <498 at manta.pha.pa.us> brant at manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>In article <139 at jeffpc.UUCP> jeff at jeffpc.UUCP (Jeff Trim) writes:
>>Because this may or may not be common knowledge: 'smgr' and 'cron' are
>>EQUIVILENTS - This is in reference to the 3B1 Unix Pc...

>Sorry, but this is absolutely false.  /etc/smgr and /etc/cron on the
>UNIXpc are not equivalent at all, as a simple ls -l would prove.

Woah! Down Boy! Now lets read... slowly :-) /etc/smgr and /etc/cron
are *equivilents*, not the same.  Perhaps Jeff should have said
something along the order of "functional" equivilents.

>Cron is the "standard" System V clock daemon,...
>whereas smgr is a cron superset,...
>Smgr is the preferred clock daemon on the UNIXpc.

You said it yourself, there *both* clock daemons.  However, the
cron supplied with the 3B1 is somewhat different that the
cron/crontab (and atjob) utilities supplied with real SysV rel2&3
I don't believe the the 3B1 cron is the "standard"

>PLEASE folks, it's great to try to help, but first try to be
>reasonably sure of your facts, lest you possibly do more harm than
>good.

Agreed, but also please read the messages try to understand what the
other is saying. We aren't all as eloquent as we'ld like to believe :-)

>>One of the things I have noticed about the 3B1 is that it doesn't
>>like to let you start processes in background and then logoff [...]
>
>No, it likes that fine.  You just need to read about nohup(1).

I remember a case when running remotely on a friends 3b1.
nohup'ing a background job and trying to exit.  the exit
would be aborted with a "process left in background"
message.

I don't run too many nohup'd jobs on my home machine.

To exit after nohup'ing, just type "exit <return>" twice, without
any intervening commands.

It likes it fine.  You just have to try it. :-)

>Brant Cheikes

-bill rankin