Can AT&T Sys V3.2 run on a generic 386?

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Fri Oct 27 11:13:08 AEST 1989

Hi,

Due to the purchasing requirements of AT&T we bought a bunch of
6386 WGSs with Unix.  Quite a number of offices that got the 6386s
wanted to do stuff like run Netware or DOS only (perish the thought)
on them.  The end result is that we have a number of Sys V + the
Development Set in our inventory seeking friendly computers to run
on.

We're thinking about a HIMS '386 machine.  We've rounded up the
requisite PC, 4 megs of memory, a Paradise VGA Plus /16 card and
are about to get a WD ESDI controller and a yet to be determined
disk drive.  The monitor is going to be a monochrome VGA.

What sort of pitfalls are there?  We know that the HIMS can run SCO
or Interactive, but heck we already bought the licenses for the
AT&T Unix; we might as well put it to good use...

I'd be appreciative for any war stories you can pass along.
Thanks,

Bill  (wtm at neoucom.edu  or  wtm at impulse.UUCP)