3B2 long pauses

Matt Reedy matt at iquery.UUCP
Thu Oct 26 23:18:13 AEST 1989

We recently upgraded our 3B2/300 from 2MB of RAM to 4MB.  Since we did that, the
machine seems to periodically (3 or 4 times a day) go into an infinite loop
for anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes, even when there is only one user,
on the console.  Pressing "break" or "delete" does nothing until the machine
decides to come back from la-la land.  However, pressing "return" does cause
new-lines to be echoed to the terminal (indicating that at least something
is awake in there).

I did notice that our swap partition is only 6000 blocks (3MB).  Could this
be too small now that we have upgraded the RAM?  We have never seen any messages
on the console indicating "out of swap space" or some such.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!dpmizar!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp.