problems with gcc - out of virtural memory

Todd Day todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us
Sun Oct 22 03:42:52 AEST 1989

I was running gcc for the first time, compiling the latest version
of NetHack.  Everything was going fine, until it barfed on the
file monster.c, claiming to be out of virtural memory.

I have a 67 MB hard disk, and 3.5 MB memory.  I am running 3.5
(could this be the problem, since gcc was compiled using 3.51?).

iv -tv /dev/rfp000 returns

Winchester disk
Volume Name: WINCHE
1024 Cylinders. 8 Heads per Cylinder.
There are 17 Physical Sectors (of 512 bytes) per Track.
	136 Physical Sectors per Cylinder, 139264 Physical Sectors per Disk.
There are 8 Logical Blocks (of 1024 bytes) per Track.
	64 Logical Blocks per Cylinder, 65536 Logical Blocks per Disk.
The Step Rate supplied to the Controller is 0.
Partition 0: start Track=0, size (in Blocks)=64
Partition 1: start Track=8, size (in Blocks)=5000
Partition 2: start Track=633, size (in Blocks)=60472
Loader starts at Block 2 (size=23 Blocks).
Bad Block Table starts at Block 1 (size=1 Blocks).
[bad block table deleted]

I take it that the blocks they are refering to are 1024 byte blocks.
That means I have 5 MB of swap space.

So what is the problem?  Does gcc really hog that much memory?

Todd Day  |  todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us  |  ivucsb!todd at anise.acc.com
"But a machine that was powerful enough to accelerate particles to the grand
 unification energy would have to be as big as the Solar System -- and would
 be unlikely to be funded in the present economic climate." -- Stephen Hawking