Memory Expansion

Peter Fales psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Sat Oct 28 08:03:47 AEST 1989

In article <7298 at sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, jarrett at gremlin.ucsd.edu (Brooke Jarrett) writes:
> I'm posting for a friend of mine (with an ulterior motive).
> My friend has a 7300 with .5Meg on the mother-board and 2 expansion
> boards with .5Meg each.  He would like to upgrade the 64k chips
> to 256's (which will leave him with an extra board for me 8-).
> Does anyone have info as to a memory expansion kit, or know where
> to get the 256 chips.

This is a fairly easy change to make.  (Assuming you call replacing 72
soldered chips easy :-).   There are at least two style of motherboards,
however the one you probably have has three pins near the front of
the motherboard labeled E1-E2-E3.  There is a jumper between two of
them.  Replace the chips, move the jumper, and you should have a 2MB
system.

> 	Also, he just got his DOS73 board (I'll get mine the end of the
> month), and is planning to replace the 8086 with a NEC V30.  This is
> supposed to give a 30% increase in speed, and the NEC V30 only costs,
> $15.00.  Does anyone know of any problems with this switch.

I have never heard of anyone putting a V30 in a DOS-73 (this sounds
kind of like putting racing tires on a Volkswagen!), but I have heard
of a number of people putting them in PC's and generally have had no
problems.  The 30% improvement is a little optimistic though - only
an impossibly contrived instruction mix could come close to this, but
the price is right, even for a much smaller gain.  Remember, that the
V30 will not help much with either disk or screen I/O, both of which
have to go through the same UNIX operating system.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.