One 3B1: questions on going from 3.5 to 3.51?

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Wed Oct 25 06:42:55 AEST 1989

I just got the 3.51 OS for my 3B1 (thanks guys, for making it
affordable).  Of course, I'd like to bring it up, but there
are some nagging questions:

	(1) The installation guide claims that the 3.5 development
	    set will not work with the 3.51 foundation set.  True?
	    If it is true, then my 3.51 is going to sit on a shelf
	    until the development set can be gotten cheaply.  If
	    it's only partially true, what part?

	(2) I've got a fair amount of odds and ends out there
	    (pty and other lddrvs, patched iv, etc.) that seem
	    like they will be affected in going from 3.5 to 3.51.
	    Is there an easy way to handle this?  Should I plan
	    on rebuilding all these things from source (gaaak -
	    I have gcc 1.36 - please let that pass through without
	    rebuilding!)  I'd like to automate the process of
	    restoring those things I've added, any suggestions?

	(3) I'm getting sick just thinking about all the floppies
	    that I'm going to need to back up the disk(s).  Will
	    the following approach work:

	    I have a 2nd drive that still has around 30MB free on
	    it (two partitions: /usr/local and /usr/net).  Rather
	    than back everything to floppy, can I copy a bunch
	    of stuff onto the 2nd disk?  (Heck, I bet if I compress
	    as I go, I get get *everything* over there.)  Ok,
	    I know I can do the copy, but will I be able to get
	    to it once the 3.51 foundation set is in place (i.e.
	    will I have to teach the system (via the enhanced
	    diagnotic disk) about the 2nd drive all over again -
	    can I avoid reformatting the 2nd drive if I do?)
            Will just saving the iv description file in /usr/lib/iv
            be sufficient?  I'm assuming that I can 'hide' the
	    2nd drive from 3.51 easily enough during installation,
            unless I have to run the diagnostic disk again...

        (4) Since the stuff I want to save is spread all over
	    the place (for example, the improved 'rc' from ICUS
	    is in /etc) is there an easy way to restore those
	    things selectively (see question 2 above)?

Thanks for any help you folks can give!
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}