vi missing commands on 3b1

Bob Ames bob at rush.cts.com
Sun Sep 17 13:53:12 AEST 1989

In article <352 at gnosys.UUCP> gst at gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In article <3192 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) writes:
>> In article <15580 at duke.cs.duke.edu>, pusateri at romeo.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
>> > Does anyone know why ctrl-^ doesn't work with the unix-pc 3.51 version of vi?
>> I believe the problem here is not vi, but the way that characters are mapped
>> to the keyboard.  Holding down shift, control, and the "6" key does not
>> send a ctrl-^ character...
>
>Yeah.  Shift-ctrl-6 generates ESC-P-f (as does just ctrl-6).  However, you
>can easily use vi's "map" command to cause ctrl-6 to do what you want:
>
>	map ^[Pf :e #^M
>
>I tried it and it worked just fine.
>
>(You'll have to use ^V to enter the ctrl-6 and ^M characters into your ~/.exrc
>file.)

I`ve recently installed Mike Ditto`s keyfix and nkbd.  My Shift-ctrl-6 works!!
This allows you to generate most any of the 255 ascii characters from your
unixpc console.

I got these from manta.pha.pa.us, who allows anonymous UUCP.
This line goes in your /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys or /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file:
manta Any ACU 1200 12156625301 "" \d in:--in: uupub assword: UUsnarf
$ uucp manta!/usr/spool/pub/index /usr/spool/uucppublic/mantaindex

Mike made reference to possible future enhancements...  What would it take
to switch the functions of the left ctrl and caps-lock keys?  I.E. to make
the 'Caps Lock' key function as the Meta key and the left ctrl key function
as the control key...

Bob
---
Bob Ames   The National Organization for  the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop." - USDA
bob at rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob at nosc.mil  or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-432-6106 "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush