UNIXpc still acting flaky - any advice?

Elliot Dierksen elliot at alfred.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 21:23:20 AEST 1989

doc at holin.att.com writes:
> My crusty old UNIXpc is _STILL_ acting flaky.
> I treat it very nicely, although I don't power it up
> as often as I'd like... |-}

[text describing configuration deleted]

> 5. When rebooting the machine, it sometimes gets into a loop, saying
>    "searching hard disk *****"
>    "searching floppy disk #####"
>    "searching hard disk *****"
>    "searching floppy disk #####"

I don't know if this helps you at all, but i got that same error recently
from my ST251. What it turned out to be (I think) is that the head
positioning motor has gone south!! Replaced the dead drive with my trusty old
3425 (5 years old, never a hiccup), then replaced that with a ST4038 (Full
height 30). I had to ditch the half height box for the drive, but I have had
no problems (Yet!). If you think you have heat problems, replace the DC fan
with an AC fan. I did that recently and I can tell quite a difference. The
only down side is a SERIOUS increase in noise. But Hey, that's why the
computer has it's own bedroom!!  Good Luck.

--
Elliot Dierksen                 UUCP: {peora,ucf-cs,uunet}tarpit!alfred!elliot

"You can only be you once, but you can be immature forever!"