my software hobby has become a hardware hobby

Cray Hardware Support crayfe at wilbur.nas.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 29 09:18:32 AEST 1989

    I went ahead and socketed the memory in my unixpc (.5 M). I intend
to upgrade to 2M later. I have not put in the extra chip needed or changed
the jumper. I have put in some Samsung 41256 mem chips.

My PC is broke.

I noticed this after I put in the first three rows of sockets. The machine
would give me an alternating pattern of 16 pixels across and 1 pixel down
arranged in a "checkerboard pattern". The disk (Seagate 251-1) would
calibrate and spin up. I went ahead and finished the job, figuring that I
could fix it later, (that it was probably a destroyed memory chip).
I finished the job.

On the assumption that it was memory I removed the MB8264s and threw in
the new samsung memory. It was not the memory.

The leds in the front left hand corner light green when I press the reset
button. They go to red and yellow and then stay there. The screen flashes
a pattern that I recognize as normal but cannot easily describe. (It looks
like tiny isoceles test patterns). It then returns to the pattern described
in paragraph 3. The floppy drive does not turn on.

I would like to fix this thing myself, but I need more information. Can
anyone who has a Reference Manual tell me what the bootup process looks
like (and approximately where I am getting stuck?). Is there a debug
mode that I can use to get at things (assuming I eventually get past
my present sticking point.)

The chances are that I am the victim of a solder splash or esd. Take a
warning from my experience. Be Paranoid.

Scott Emery.
(415) 369-7748
260 El Caminito
Livermore,Ca. 94550