System V R4 on a 3B2/310?

Netnews Administrator fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Fri Sep 15 14:33:05 AEST 1989

In article <10309 at attcan.UUCP> hjespers at attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>In article <4342 at emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km at mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>>Has anyone heard anything from AT&T about which of the AT&T
>>hardware platforms will ultimately run System V Release 4?
>>In particular I'm interested in whether a 3B2/310 (or 400)
>>will be able to run it.
>Despite rumours to the contrary, the 3B2/400 is the porting
>base for UNIX System V Rel.4 (therefore a 3B2/310 would also
>have the ability to run Release 4). That is, at least how I
>understand it, and if anyone knows otherwise I'd like to
>hear it.

Be carefull what you hear about Sys V Release 4.0.  To be honest, I
don't think anyone REALLY knows what the BINARY product will look like.
A year back, I heard the Sys V porting base was going to be moved to
the Intel 80386 (or better) with Sys V Rel. 4.  However, as Hans
stated, the ORIGINAL porting base was the 3B2 400.  However, I hear the
current release won't run on a 400.  And that pertains to the SOURCE
product.  In many cases, the SOURCE product has nothing to do with the
BINARY product.  In many cases, AT&T has chosen to make the BINARY
product considerably different from the SOURCE product since the SOURCE
product usually includes everything, and the BINARY product is
un-bundled.  For instance, the Rel 4 source product contains TCP/IP
and NFS built-in, but the binary product will probably have those items
un-bundled.

The basic features, such as the layout of the filesystems, the new
filesystem types, job control, Berkeley compatibility, streams ttys,
and all the other low level features that you hear about (and that we
like to talk about) will be there.

But nobody outside of USO knows what the binary product will include,
or what platforms it will run on.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support