hardware problem with OBM

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Sun Sep 17 05:24:11 AEST 1989

Help!  I think tetnix (my 7300) has a dead OBM.
I am running 3.5 with the 3.51 phone manager to get phtoggle.
This has been working fine for the last year.
Kyzyl (my fire sale spare) is running 3.51 and no phone manager,
works just fine.

When the phone on my 7300 is in VOICE mode, everything seems to work fine,
(ie., I get a dial tone, and can call out, and answer phone calls).

However, when I switch DATA mode, it doesn't work.
Using cu(1) to call out lets me hear, through the speaker, the connection
I get and the dialling.  There is NO dial tone.  All I get is the noise that
occurs when the phone line is not plugged in.
This is true for both lines 1 and 2.  (Both work on kyzyl).
Needless to say uucp is no longer working.

Everything else appears to be working perfectly.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Is there any possibility that I am only having a software problem that
is easily fixed?
Any ideas what could be wrong with the modem, and if it can be fixed?
How do I get the shield off of the modem so that I can look at it?
Are there any user servicable parts in there?

Maybe it's time to get that trail blazer, or to retire tetnix. :-(
--
---
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090