UNIXpc on the warpath again - please help

David Mundhenk doc at holin.ATT.COM
Tue Sep 12 13:32:11 AEST 1989

I'm back again, and I apologize for the repetitive pleas for help #-(
but I'm really baffled by the behavior of this 7300 of mine.

I posted a while back, about having problems with my filesystem being
trashed, boot problems, floppy problems, etc. I suspected the hard disk
since it was an old CDC 94155-36 that had an unknown but probably large
amount of use. Since then I've pulled the drive and reformatted it in
an AT clone (IBM compatible, for you MeSsy-DOS abstainees) and it seems
to be quite happy there. I sprung for a new CDC 94155-85 for the UNIX
box (8 heads, 1024 cyls. 28 ms.) and started over again. I don't have
the original RF shield for the hard drive so I put a thin sheet of lead
over it (is this bad or good?).

So I ran the diagnostics on it. It formatted OK, found some bad blocks
but not a tremendous number. Loaded the foundation set. Then trouble
starts. I logged in as install, the first menu window opens up and the
message appears, "40 EMT trap - core dumped" and back to the login:
prompt. So I logged in as root and saw things that made my stomach turn.

Some things such as "lib" and "tmp" that should be directories were just
large files with permissions "000". Most commands that I tried worked
once or twice and then gave me usage messages with the correct flags,
or the same "EMT trap - core dumped" message.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening here? Could it
be that my foundation set is corrupted? Or is the vengeful beast just
trashing things on its own after they're installed?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I would like to use this machine, but
don't have hours and hours to fart around with re-loading software on
it time and again. If I can't find the problem soon I will probably
break it up and sell the parts!

Thank you for your support. (Ed thanks you too).
EMAIL: ...!att!holin!doc  | "I can't complain but |   /^,
VOICE: (201)-580-4943     |  sometimes I still do"|  /  } _, , , __
#include <std.disclaimer> |  - Joe Walsh          | /_./ (_l |/ <~_