status report on video ram access kit and Mgr

Brian D. Botton botton at laidbak.i88.isc.com
Sun Sep 17 15:45:55 AEST 1989

Hi fellow UnixPC'ers:

  It's hard to believe that a month has passed since my last posting.  This is
a status posting so everyone will know what the status of the video ram access
kit is.
  The PC board provider is having a little trouble getting boards made.  The
problem is his laser printer does not print exactly 1-1, more like .995-1.
Most of the time this isn't a problem, but with a 64 pin dip like the 68010, the
accumulative error means that the last pin on the row won't fit into the hole.
He assures me that he can fix the problem and will have a new test board
available early/middle next week.  If that works out then I will be able to
start shipping when he gets me the production run, which should take 1-2 weeks
at most.
  So far I have received checks for 21 kits, and e-mail reservations for a few
more.  As you may recall, I offered to provide complete kits for the first 15
orders, and only the PC board and pal after that.  Because the response has
been so much better than I expected, I am going to up that number to 35.  The
following is a list of the people who's check I have received.  The list is in
order of arrival and is current as of Saturday, September 16.

Name			Kits
Bill Carpenter		1
Steve Shepherd		1
Thomas Uhrig		1
Edgar Leon		4  Edgar, what are you doing with these?
Charles Sefranek	1
Floyd Davidson		1
Bradley Smith		1
Albert Hybl		1
John Cumming		1
Neville Chandler	1
John Dixon		1
David Thomas		2
Makr Noyes		1
David Glowacki		1
Vernon Hoxie		1
Mark Dapoz		2

  My apologies if I have misspelled anyones name.  Also, I'm sorry it has
taken so long to get these kits together.  I guess I was a little optimistic
about how long it took to get things done.  Anyway, when the boards get here
I'll hold a mass mailing.

  Now, for something completely different.  Mgr is doing very well.  Brad has
fixed a whole slew of bugs/problems, heck, I even fixed one ;-).  The big
holdup now is the select system call that has everyone at odds.  Brad has
taken a good hard look at how the posted select works, sorry, I forget who
posted it, and the Berkeley select and is working on a more general solution.
The two of us work together and we are going through a period at work that is
going to take a lot of overtime.  So I can't even hazard to make a guess as to
when we will get the select done.  Also, we're not sure how we are going to
distribute the changes, but we'll deal with that later.

  If there are any questions, send me mail and I will try to be a little
more responsive than in the recent past.  As before, I am taking checks for
those people who want to reserve a kit.  Send your check and a mailing label
to the address below.  The kits cost $25 each and will include all the parts
you need and instructions.  All you have to do is solder it together and install
it.

Brian Botton
4715 Old Oaks Dr. #3B
Lisle, Il. 60532