MIPS Rating of 3B2/400??

roy.n.harkness roynh at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Tue Sep 12 22:58:53 AEST 1989

In article <3802 at cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs at cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs) writes:
>In article <10305 at attcan.UUCP> hjespers at attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>]>Does anyone know the MIPS rating of the 3B2/400?  Thanks.
>]My marketing guide says 1.5 MIPS.
>
>It shouldn't say that, unless MIPS are more inflated in Canada :-)
>I think the commonly-used numbers are something like
>	300	.7 MIPS (long since expired)
>	310,400	1.1	(10 MHz)
	.
	.
	.
> It's certainly worth getting the MAU
>(floating point chip) if you don't have one.

How much does the MAU effect the performance of the above machines?
Is unix (as distributed) able to recognize the MAU when it is there
and take advantage of it? Do the C libraries (and other floating point
code) know when the MAU is there and are they able to take automatic
advantage of it or do you have to recompile everything? Are the unix
support programs (such as sum) able to automatically take advantage of
the MAU?

>--
># Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
># often found at 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs Somerset CP3-4C423 fax469-1355
># Extremism in Defense of Liberty is No Substitute for Vice.

Roy Harkness		AT&T Bell Labs  (Not the 3B2 division)
att!ihlpb!roynh		312-979-4668

Bush is smart. First he's insured that he won't be assassinated by having
Quayle as his vice, Second he's managed to distract the american people
so he can dismantle the constitution and entrench his power.