Adding RAM to 6386 16mhz...help with settings

Eric Swansen westie at blake.acs.washington.edu
Thu Sep 28 06:17:29 AEST 1989

I'm trying to add one or two megabytes of RAM to my 6386 machine.
I called the AT&T product support line, who said that only some
RAM chips would work with the machine, not all.  I'm not stupid,
I know that 4k drams at 300 ns won't work, but what should I be
looking for in the way of adding 1 meg to a 6386.  A SIMM ? A SIPP?
A particular manufacturer ?  A certain speed ? Which form of chips..
a 1mX9, four 256kX9, what ?  He also said that some machines can't
use the 1m chips, for some reason.  How can I tell if my can or can't ?

These questions I ask of you in desperation....

Eric C. Swansen
University of Washington
Graduate School of Public Affairs (Administration)
DC-13
westie at blake.acs.washington.edu

PS- Any good sources for cheap chips ?