Problems with "long format" timezone strings and Starlan

Tony Walton olapw at olgb1.oliv.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 22:05:09 AEST 1989

<sigh>  I just found another Starlan package that hates "long format" TZ.
The Starlan X.25 Router package also refuses to work if a "long format"
TZ is used; some module (possibly the shell itself; I still don't know
details) complains with

";85/02,302/03 is not an identifier"

when an attempt is made to start the router when TZ was set to
"GMT-1BST;85/02,302/03".

This one is even more fun than the DOS Server problem I mentioned earlier;
the TZ string is squirrelled away in an obscure *binary database* file when
the package is *installed*. (I'm afraid I have no details of the name of this
file - email me if you need it and I'll find out).

I wonder if AT&T ever tested anything using "long format" TZ strings, or
did they assume that everywhere in the world uses the US algorithm for
Daylight Saving Time (in which case why give the option of the "long format"
string in the first place....).
--
Tony Walton, AT&T Division, British Olivetti Ltd., Wellington House,
154-160 Upper Richmond Road, London, England SW15 2FN