attmail addresses

Paul S. R. Chisholm psrc at pegasus.ATT.COM
Thu Sep 7 09:14:33 AEST 1989

In article <124022 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, gak at gakbox.Sun.COM (Richard Stueven) asks:
> Does anyone know how I can hit attmail users from the Internet?
> I've tried user at attmail.att.com and several others, to no avail.

I've answered this question in other groups, and people reply saying,
"That's very interesting, what's the gateway?"  Let me be perfectly
clear:  there is *no* Internet gateway to AT&T Mail.  AT&T Mail is a
commercial e-mail service.  You can get an on-line account (and send
messages with a dumb terminal, or with an MS-DOS or Macintosh system
with our front-end software), or you can register a computer running
the UNIX(R) operating system and communicate via uucp.  Either way, we
charge for creating and transmitting messages, and we need to know
where to send the bill.

Yes, I know some other commercial services allow messages to flow in
and out via the Internet.  I'm tickling the appropriate managers within
AT&T to work out something similar.  Until then, no one's willing to
pay for everyone's messages, especially expensive messages (e.g., paper
copies delivered by four hour courier, or international FAX or Telex).

Richard, Sun has at least one system registered with AT&T Mail, so you
guys should have a way to use our service.  Talk to your local mail
gurus.  If that doesn't work, let me know exactly *who* you're trying
to reach, and I'll see if they have a non-attmail address.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc at pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.