Disk Partitions under Sys V/386

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 12:55:12 AEST 1989

In article <598 at gistdev.UUCP>, joe at gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:

> The problem seems to be that when you are installing UNIX, the installation
> software only knows about the first disk.  Since this is the case, it insists
> that /, swap, and /usr all be placed on the same disk.  You can add the second
> disk using FACE later, but you have to have the machine up under UNIX first.
> Given that placing /, swap, and /usr on the same disk is not the most efficient
> way to configure a UNIX machine, I assume that I must be missing something
> somewhere.

Why not just install the software with /usr on the  main disk, use FACE
to format and partition the second disk, mount the second disk and copy
/usr onto the partition on the second disk, unmount the second disk,
umount /usr, mount second disk as /usr.  You would also have to modify
the /etc/fstab file to indicate the new disk partition for /usr and
you probably would want to labelit the new partition with "usr".

After this you will have the partiton from the first disk to do
as you wish.