Step rate change (WD2010) Some Benchmarks(was Re: WD2010 / No ECC)

John Campbell jdc at naucse.UUCP
Fri Sep 8 23:30:39 AEST 1989

>From article <2903 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM:, by psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales):
: Thanks to the combined efforts of a number of net folks, I
: finally succeeded in getting my WD2010 to accept the faster step rate.
:
: The hypothesis that step rate is only set in the ROM code and then
: never touched unless there is a disk error seems to be correct.  I
: was able to get my disk to use a step rate of 14 (3.2 microseconds)
: which showed a significant improvement over the default rate of 0 (35
: microseconds) according to Lenny's exerciser.
: --
: Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
: 				2000 N. Naperville Rd.
: UUCP:	...att!peter.fales	Naperville, IL 60566
: Domain: peter.fales at att.com	work:	(312) 979-8031

Uh, I'm coming in a little late and a lot stupid, but didn't earlier
articles say all that was necessary was a reboot?  I would love to
know more since I put in my WD2010, changed (with iv) the step rate
to 14, rebooted and nada--no significant disk speed change.

What is a "RESTORE"?  How does the controller work?  Peter's article
was a tad thin for me to trust hacking a driver in order to force a
condition I don't understand yet.  (By the way, I only have 5 bad
blocks on my 67 Mb disk.  Am I a candidate for few retries and hardly
ever a restore?)

Any help appreciated, right now I'm leaving my step rate at 14 and just
hoping/waiting for a magical RESTORE to occur on it's own...

Subject: Re: RE: patch utility
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms

>From article <2946 at quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu:, by DAVISM at kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis):
:
: 	In article <8908301323.AA09921 at crdgw1.ge.com>,
: SESSIONS%SPAREV.decnet at CRDGW1.GE.COM writes:
:
:>>Subj:	Wanted: Patch utility for VMS
:>>From: rochester!uhura.cc.rochester.edu!rbr4 at pt.cs.cmu.edu  (Roland Roberts)
:>>
:>>I'm looking for a "patch" utility for VMS that operates as the one on
:>>Unix systems does.  This would make my job of updating some of the GNU
:>>software we keep a lot easier.  Thanks for any info!
:>>
:>>roland
:>
:>I can just Jerry cringing at the bits after reading this one! :-)
:>
:>Roland, you must not have done your homework on this one, and exhibits
:>what many on the network would consider as a waste of network bandwidth.
:>A patch utility comes with VMS. It is used by vms to patch itself when
:>the system manager runs vms upgrades. Find out more about it with
:>
:>$ help patch
:
: 	But this is NOT a UN*X-compatible patch utility.  UN*X patch allows
: the updating of SOURCE files; VMS PATCH -- and this is from VMS HELP -- is
: for patching "...an executable  image,  shareable  image, or device driver
: image."  (Note the use of the term "image".)
:
: 	Although not UN*X patch, a similar functionality may be found with
: the use of DIFFERENCES/SLP (somewhat analogous to UN*X diff) and EDIT/SLP
: (similarly analogous to UN*X patch).  As far as I know, there is no UN*X-
: compatible patch utility.  I would be interested in knowing if one exists,
: though.
:

Um, I ported Larry Wall's patch program to VMS.  Also had to build a
working pd diff program that could be used with it.  I have both and
can either post or mail to individuals depending upon interest...

--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
                                    CAMPBELL at NAUVAX.bitnet