"AT&T to resell Pyramid computers" (for real)

Gary_M_Brammer gmb at occrsh.ATT.COM
Wed Sep 27 23:18:59 AEST 1989

The reference to the AT&T 3B4000 as not a good time sharing system cannot
be correctly stated without qualifying what has been done to tune the
3B4000.  This machine straight out of the box will most likely be a poor
performer in a general time share environment.  It should not be referred to
as a multi-processor machine, but loosely coupled multiple procesors or a
tightly coupled network.  We currently are using 3B4000's to run our
production lines at the AT&T 3B/5ESS factory, and after correctly tuning the
machines, we have experienced great results (100 users, 60000 TP1 type
transactions per 8 hrs, and all processors > 60% idle).  Every process
executed on a 3B4000 should have some forethought about what I/O, memory
resources, and CPU cycles are required (for example, vi should be marked
to run on the processor associated with stdin and stdout).

As far as dropping UNIX gurus' names, they are probably not the people
that should be contacted for this type of question (ask them to write a
book instead).  The correct Bell Lab personnel to contact are located
at Indian Hill BL in Naperville, IL.

Gary Brammer
Senior Engineer
AT&T Oklahoma City Works