3B1 and 60386 floppies

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Fri Sep 8 08:23:04 AEST 1989

In article <2986 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) writes:
|>In article <4137 at csd4.csd.uwm.edu>, peter at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
(Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:

|>> We have at work some ATT 3B1's and a 20MHz ATT 60386 box.
|>> Both are running ATT Sysyem V.  Is there any way to get
|>> a floppy that was formated on a 3B1 read on a 60386
|>> and vise versa.

|>You can use the -B option on cpio if the archive does not span more
|>than one disk, but if it takes multiple disks you can not use -B.
|>The problem is that when the 3b1 writes the last 5120 byte block
|>on the first disk, and it doesn't fit, it writes the entire 5120
|>bytes on the next disk.  The 6386, on the other hand, expects to see
|>part of the block on the first disk and the remainder on the second.

If I remember correctly, the last time I looked on my 6386E WGS in the
office, I vaguely remember a program called /etc/.cpiopc  ... Looking
at the string table for that (with strings /etc/.cpiopc) I noticed some
strikingly familiar strings.   Things like:

To Exit - press <E> followed by <RETURN>.
To continue - insert floppy disk #%d and press the <RETURN> key.

Just to be sure, I looked at /bin/cpio on that machine and it didn't
have the same stuff.  So you might want to try that to read floppies
that were written with the -B option on the 3B1.   Note that /etc/.cpiopc
doesn't have the options like:

Usage: cpio -o[acvBT#O#] <name-list >collection
		   ^^^^
For buffering and offset location when using the tape device, not to
mention that you can't use it with the floppy drive as well...
It would be strange (as well as insane) to have multiple savesets on
one floppy :-)

One aside... that cpio has the options in the usage for T and O, although
the Tape documentation recommends using tapecpio (which has those options
too, but they aren't listed in the usage).  /bin/cpio works just fine with
tapes as well...  I presumed

Thanks Pete for the information on transfering files from the 386 to
the 3B1...

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576