MGR - I have some suggestions - can we talk?

Brian D. Botton botton at i88.isc.com
Tue Apr 10 16:42:00 AEST 1990

In article <4613 at daffy.cs.wisc.edu> horn at rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) writes:

>Well, against recommendations I am running with UA intact.  Meaning that if I
>exit mgr, I can just type ua and ua comes up as usual.  And everything that
>depended on ua will still work properly.  It does have some wierd side effects
>though.  Since I run the phone manager, when ever I answer my phone and
>I'm in mgr, the phone manager will write directly to the screen and screw up
>things royally.  Fortunatly they're easy to clean up (most of the time)  The
>reason that I run the ua is simply because I have a voice power board set
>up as an answering machine, so I need wind.o loaded so that I can use ve to
>listen to my messages.  If I could figure out how to keep the phone manager
>and also have it not write to the screen, and have a voice editor that didn't
>depend on the things that Lenny described, I'd be pretty happy.  I also have
>about 100 phone numbers stored in the phone manager which I do NOT want to
>have to transfer to a rolo-dex, etc.

  You can fix this problem easily with a define.  In the src/port directory,
edit the Makefile so that -DUA is not commented out.  This will make the top
line of the window untouchable as far as Mgr is concerned, so your phone
and window icons won't be messed up.  This also allows you to run smgr without
any problems.  I'll talk to Brad about putting this into the README.3B1.
  Just as a note for others, Mgr works a whole lot better if you disable the
blinking cursor and the working icon.  The 3b1 directory has the stuff to do
this.

> . . .
>windows is a breeze!  BTW, wait until you compile mgr.  On my machine with a
>28ms HD and 1Meg of memory it took about 5 hours.  On another machine (which I
>use) which has the same HD but 2Meg of memory it took 1 hr 35 min.  Which brings
>up another point.  On my machine (1 Meg mem) it can be pretty slow.  Not
>terrible, but significantly slower then on the 2Meg machine I use.

  When I went from 1.5Meg to 3.5Meg I didn't really notice anything running
faster, except the compile of blit.c.  Of that 5 hours compile time, 4 hours
was the optimizer trying to optimize blit.s, before it bombs and gives up.
With my 1.5Meg machine it took about 10 minutes, if I remember correctly.
Anyway, I never ran with 1Meg, but with 1.5Meg and up I don't think anyone will
be able to tell if Mgr is running slow.  The extra memory does help compiling
it, but once its done, it takes little memory.  Running size on Mgr you get:

173588 + 69948 + 11976 = 255512

>I guess I'm rambling here, but before I go I have to give kudos to Brad Bosch
>for the port and to Brian Botton for the VIDPAL.  My machine is so much more

  I'm sure I can speak for Brad, you're welcome.

>fun now to actually program on instead of just have because it's unix that I
>could afford.  So I'm all for anyone doing anything with mgr.  Speaking of
>which . . . is Lenny going to port sysinfo to mgr . . . ? . . . please?
>Or maybe I should start this endeaver?

  How about it Lenny?  Something like perfmeter, or is that perfmon, on the
Suns would be real nice.
--
   _][_n_n___i_i ________  *******		Brian D. Botton