New Root disk for UNIXPC

Undergrad Projects Lab upl at gumby.cs.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 15 05:17:45 AEST 1990

In article <632 at tsnews.Convergent.COM> bri at tsnews.Convergent.COM (Brian Rice) writes:
>Um... I think I would go with Lenny's version (No offense intended to Mr.
>Becker) merely because of the sort/discard option he suggests.  However,
>I don't recall seeing the word 'backup' in either of the follow-ups!
>I am currently running the Maxtor 2190's (Thanks Thad) and am also in
>agreement with Lenny on this: the seek time is not very good. All that
>space on the other hand...

Well, here comes the word 'backup'.  WARNING: If you LOATHE the UA hit
'n' right now.  I don't like it much either, but . . .

How come no one has mentioned doing this:
	A) do a full backup via the UA,
	B) swap old HD with new HD
	C) use the diagnostics diskette to format the new drive,
	D) load Foundation Set
	E) then use the UA to do a full restore.
It has its disadvantages (i.e. it's SLOW, it's REALLY S...L...O...W...) but it
works and it's simple.  And since it uses cpio, I assume that it will also
defragment the disk as one would like.  This solution also works if you don't
happen to have any means of mounting the extra hard drive.  Did I mention that
it takes some time?

It does have some advantages.  You don't have to worry about the loader, or the
swap space, AND you have a backup of your system when you're done.

This worked for me when I bought a bigger drive.  Of course, it took about
5 hours just to migrate from a 20 meg to a 40 meg drive.  Most of the time
was spent in the scintillating process of backup and restore.  The rest in the
equally stimulating process of formating.  Ok, so it's not a good suggestion
if you can mount the extra drive, but if you can't it will work fine.

- sparkie