DOS & UNIX ethernet board wish list (was Re: TCP/IP over St

Lance C Norskog thinman at cup.portal.com
Wed Feb 14 06:17:11 AEST 1990

> Dr. Scump at Informix writes:
> This brings to mind a question.  Does anybody know of an ethernet
> board which will operate for *all* the following uses:
>     a) under UNIX Sys V/386 Rel 3.2.2 on a 6386:
>        *  uucp
>        *  tcp/ip
>        *  NFS or RFS
>        *  etc.
>
>     b) under MS-DOS 3.30 or 4.01, also on a 6386:
>        *  PC-NFS   (or, FTP Software's PC/TCP will do in a pinch)
>        *  Novell NetWare  (I can live without this, but it'd be nice)

Unix V.3 uses a device interface spec called (variously) LLI or DLI.
This specifies a type of UNIX Streams driver which controls an Ethernet
card.  All four Streams TCP/IP brands (Streamlined, Wollongong, Lachman,
Interactive) use this standard, with proprietary extensions for error
reporting.  Western Digital, Intel and Tiara Systems have written Streams
LLI/DLI drivers for their boards and give them out under non-disclosure.
I don't know if the Intel board (PC586) is supported under DOS, but the
the other two (WD 8013 and Tiara LanE-16) are for all three DOS packages
mentioned.  All three boards have 16-bit bus interfaces and 16-64k of
buffer RAM; all have worked well here at Streamlined.  (WD, Irvine, CA;
Tiara, Mt. View, CA; Intel, Hillsborough, 503-696-8080).

The above TCP vendors also generally have a miscellany of drivers for old
8-bit Ethernet cards like the 3com's, UB, Micom dumb cards, etc.  We don't
recommend any of these cards; we get a 150-200% performance improvement with
16-bit Ethernet cards.  (In particular, 3com 501's should be buried with
a soldering iron through the heart.)

Other news: for $3500 you can get FDDI cards with UNIX Streams and DOS Novell
drivers (Speed International, La Habra, CA).  Also, Thomas-Conrad (Austin) has
announced a proprietary 100-mbit fiber protocol whose boards cost ~$1000 and
are totally compatible with existing Arcnet drivers.  If you wondered what poin
there was to an RFC for running IP over Arcnet (I certainly did), now you know.

Lance Norskog
Sales Engineer
Streamlined Networks
415-659-1450