How to make a tape 386 Unix boot diskette

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Feb 8 15:28:26 AEST 1990

In article <4469 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee at cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:

>You can't boot from tape (ala 3b2 and non-PC systems) but you
>can install Unix from tape.  Basically you boot a small kernel
>from a floppy, then install everything from tape.

Is there a way to copy the install diskettes to the tape for add on
packages?  I've now had to deal with 3 cases of losing everything
on a 386 hard disk (from various forms of abuse, but the disks worked
after a low-level format).  Anyway, it takes at least half a day to
get the machine back in service, especially since the FACE system
backup skips most of the installed packages.
I'd like to see a way to copy all the add-on package floppies onto a
tape so you could re-install en mass.  The install procedure could
just copy each disk image off the tape before using it.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us