DOS & UNIX ethernet board wish list (was Re: TCP/IP over Starlan)

~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Tue Feb 20 03:13:45 AEST 1990

In article <3341 at infmx.UUCP> aland at infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>This brings to mind a question.  Does anybody know of an ethernet
>board which will operate for *all* the following uses:
>    a) under UNIX Sys V/386 Rel 3.2.2 on a 6386:
>       *  uucp
>       *  tcp/ip
>       *  NFS or RFS
>       *  etc.

The Starlan 10 PC NAU, EN100, and fiber NAU in combination
with the WIN 386 3.0 TCP/IP product will product all of these
capabilities.

You can run UUCP between AT&T machines using TLI.  Some people
here are also working on getting it going over TELNET as well
to non-AT&T machines and terminal servers (note that this
doesn't work over TELNET currently).

There are NFS and RFS versions that will also run over these
product combinations as well.

>    b) under MS-DOS 3.30 or 4.01, also on a 6386:
>       *  PC-NFS   (or, FTP Software's PC/TCP will do in a pinch)
>       *  Novell NetWare  (I can live without this, but it'd be nice)

PC-NFS for our PC-TCP product should be available by calling
FTP Software directly.  It's about a $100 add-on.

The Starlan 1 MB and 10 MB PC NAUs have been certified with
Novell.  The EN100 and Fiber NAU probably haven't.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support