Fixdisk problems?

John McMillan jcm at mtune.ATT.COM
Wed Feb 7 09:54:14 AEST 1990

In article <111 at spirit.UUCP> john at spirit.UUCP (John F. Godfrey) writes:
>Early last week I installed Fixdisk 2.0 on spirit (3.5mb RAM and a
>67mb ST-4096).  I have a DOS-73 installed as well.  Shortly after
>installation I received the panic message which will follow.  It took
>three reboots to get me up and running again, and shortly thereafter,
>it paniced again.  I removed the fixdisk and everything ran (and has
>been running) fine, since.
>
>Here is the panic message:
>#WD1010 ST=/Sekg/Err/ EF=/Id?/ cy=710. sc=14. hd=7. dr#=0. MCR2:0x0
>#HDERR ST:51 EF:10 CL:C6 CH:2 SN:E SC:2 SDH:27 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:9F MCCREG:8300
>
>panic: Hard disk timeout
>
>Anyone have any idea what this is from and what, if anything, I can do to
>correct it?
:
	It could not find a sector-id on the disk.  The only ways
	this can be "fixed" are to re-write the sector-id --
	-- aka re-FORMAT the disk -- or enter the sector in the
	bad-block list.

	It looks like bad karma: in loading the FixDisk you finally
	USED this bad sector.  If you test this sector with the OLD
	kernel you should get some comparable message/warning:
		dd  < /dev/rfp002 > /dev/null

	ST=/Sekg/Err/	-- While Seeking [a sector] an Error occurred.
	EF=/Id?/	-- An Error occurred: Missing [sector] Id.

	There's no reason the new kernel should exacerbate such
	problems, just a coincidence -- I hope 8-]

john mcmillan -- att!mtune!jcm