Idea for X server

Rob Healey rhealey at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU
Fri Feb 16 08:27:46 AEST 1990

In article <1093 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I'm probably not the correct person to comment on this, but doesn't X11 have
>quite a bit of networking code in it to handle X windows over a network
>medium.  Since the UNIX pc doesn't have any "great" network, other than
>STARLAN, wouldn't it be wise to remove this from the X server?  Could this
>be done to keep the X applications and server down in size?  I still don't
>know if this will make it feasible for the UNIX pc.

	OK kids, would all of you that have run X11R4 on a Sun 3/50 with
	4M memory and NO local disks please raise your hands?

	I for one have done it. If a 4M sun workstation that is diskless
	can do it why not a 4M diskful UNIX PC? The screen is smaller so
	less memory there, and if you convert the server to speak a
	low overhead X protocol over serial lines to a program on the
	other end that converts from serial to net, I'm sure X11 would
	fit in a UNIX PC. My thoughts are:

	1) UNIX PC runs a special server that speaks over serial line.
	2) Other end decodes serial protocol and converts it into
	   net requests on UNIX PC's behalf.
	3) Your X apps run on a second box.
	4) Perfect this and then maybe try to run both server and apps
	   on the same UNIX PC.

	Idea on mythical X session. X11 window driver replaces wind.o
	so console interaction is very bland till the server fires up.

	UNIX PC login: happyX
	password: camper
	.
	.
	. Usual login stuff.
	.
	ksh-1> X3b1 -l /dev/tty000 -s 9600
	.
	. X server startup stuff
	.
	OK <- Mr. Telebit prompt
	atdt1239876
	CONNECT

	fooserver login: happyX
	password: camper
	.
	. big X machine login stuff
	.
	Bighonker-1>upcXconv [ options as needed]

	.
	. Server finishes initialization and Screen clears to the familiar
	  X setup
	.

	Now we do our minimum daily requirement of X hacking!

	Select shutdown from X menu. Things shut down and we are left at:
	Bighonker-2>logout
	.
	. Disconnect mumbo jumbo.

	and finally, back to Mr. ksh on the local UNIX PC.

	X3b1 done.
	ksh-2>

	So, other than the fact that it doesn't exit, what's wrong with
	my idea???

			-Rob