MGR is ported to the UNIX pc (was Re: More X foolishness)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Tue Feb 20 12:17:02 AEST 1990

writes:
|>>Bellcore's MGR has been ported to the UNIX pc.  Yes, another window
|>>environment that has the benefits of being able to use the entire screen,
|>>user-level code (no wind driver), ease of window reshaping, resizing,
|>>moving, etc...  Lots more too!
|>>
|>>BTW: Regarding Item #3 above, Brad did just that.  /dev/mouse is part
|>>of the kbd driver (a hacked Ditto version).
|>>
|>	Umm, does this clobber the features of the 3.51m keyboard driver in
|>	the process? Since the need for the new kbd driver was eliminated
|>	with 3.51m can the extra code for MGR be installed seperate from
|>	the unneeded kbd code?

Yes, the summary says it all.  The kbd driver will and does clobber the
features of the 3-key functions for the 3.51m kernel/wind driver combo.
Thanks to Gil Kloepfer <gil%limbic at ames.arc.nasa.gov> and his posting
of kfeature(1) this is no longer a problem.  All of the "important" features
can be turned on and off with this.

|>	Also, can MGR be run on systems without the user mode video hardware
|>	"patch"? Some of us college aged paupers can't afford cushy extras
|>	like food and a roof over our heads let alone hardware mods to our
|>	toys... B^(.

No MGR requires the VIDPAL.  I assume someone could hack a rastop() interface
but that would be slooooowwww...

-Lenny

--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      lenny at icus.islp.ny.us |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,hombre,sbcs,attctc}!icus!lenny     attmail!icus!lenny |