MGR is ported to the UNIX pc (was Re: More X foolishness)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sat Feb 17 15:58:09 AEST 1990

In article <15903 at cs.yale.edu> yarvin-norman at CS.YALE.EDU (Norman Yarvin) writes:
|>In article <3220 at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Rob Healey)
writes:
[... lots of views (good and bad) on porting X to the 3B1 environment ...]

|>3) Yet more hacking of the window driver... but there is an alternative:
|>changing Mike Ditto's keyboard driver to output to a user process when mouse
|>buttons are pressed and the meta key is down (for instance).  This user
|>process would then resize windows, etc.
|>
|>Well, sounds like it'd be easier to port Mgr...

Can you say, "it's been done... it's running... it's going to be released
real soon now..."  (I knew you could!)

Bellcore's MGR has been ported to the UNIX pc.  Yes, another window
environment that has the benefits of being able to use the entire screen,
user-level code (no wind driver), ease of window reshaping, resizing,
moving, etc...  Lots more too!

I just picked up the second copy of MGR tonight, this since the first
which I got a couple of days before the USENIX Winter 1990 UNIX PC BOF in
January.  Please see the USENIX BOF Minutes posted to unix-pc.general,
comp.sys.att recently regarding what went on about MGR at the BOF.

I haven't compiled it, in fact I haven't even unpacked it.  Thanks to
Brad Bosch <brad at i88.isc.com -or- pacbell!sun!laidbak!brad> for doing
the great work on porting MGR!  The beta copies given out at the BOF
are extremely outdated, according to Brad.  The newest copy (as of tonight)
has mucho improvements, fixes, etc...

No, I cannot give out copies to everyone.  No, it's not going up for
anonymous uucp (yet).  No, not anonymous ftp yet either.  Brad *WILL*
make an announcement to this release very shortly.  Please be patient.

BTW: Regarding Item #3 above, Brad did just that.  /dev/mouse is part
of the kbd driver (a hacked Ditto version).

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      lenny at icus.islp.ny.us |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,hombre,sbcs,attctc}!icus!lenny     attmail!icus!lenny |