Read 3B2 tape cartridge of 6386?

HC Johnson hcj at lzsc.ATT.COM
Sat Feb 17 08:37:03 AEST 1990

In article <3911 at cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, k2ph at cbnewsj.ATT.COM (The QRPer) writes:
> I have access to a 3B2 with a 60 Meg cartridge tape drive
> and also to a 6386 with a 125 Meg cartridge tape drive.
> There are a whole bunch of files that were CPIOed to the
> 60 Meg tape on the 3B2.  Is it possible to read these files

if the CPIO was made with the -c option, the file information is in ascii.
(just od -c < tape  and see if it prints nice or cruddy).

If the cpio was made without the -c option, the file information is in
native 3b2 binary ( chars, shorts, and longs), which will likely not be
the way a 386 likes it  (does anyone do things the Intel way?).  You
can always transfer the cpio files to the disk using dd, and then write
a program to fix the shorts and longs.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====