UUX buffer limit

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA
Wed Feb 21 07:44:16 AEST 1990

In article <15171 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

>Smail 2.5 originally started a new UUX command after every 128 bytes
>worth of addresses, but I had hacked it to use a much bigger buffer
>until I ran into this.  Now I hold it off at < 1000 bytes.

Smail used short lines for a good reason. Even if you hack *your*
uux to take long arg's, it doesn't mean the next site down the line
will be able to handle that long argument string.

You're really asking for trouble if you use anything much over 256
bytes per command.
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
     {alberta,decwrl}!atha!lyndon || lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA

                     UREP: Peru in disguise?