3b1's OBM hanging the line

John Mundt john at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Feb 9 02:57:53 AEST 1990

I have a 3b1 which suddenly gets tied up after I call *into* it from
another machine.  When I log out with a ^D, the 3b1 does not disconnect
but rather gives a "login" message.  However, it never accepts a
login, always saying "login incorrect."  When I force a disconnect
from outside, the 3b1 will no longer answer the line.  The machine has
been fine for two years before this, and even now, uucico can get in
and out from the outside without tying up the line.

Going to the machine shows no getty or login running on the phone
port, even though /etc/inittab should respawn a getty.  Doing a
"init q" will respawn the getty, but the modem still does not
answer the phone.

The process table doesn't show any process, zombie or otherwise,
that could be connected to the phone port.  phtoggle does not
clear the problem.  Rebooting the machine is the only way to
clear the problem.

The hotline's suggestion is to reload UNIX.  Has anyone else had
this problem and a solution for it?
--
John Mundt   Teachers' Aide, Inc.  P.O. Box 1666  Highland Park, IL
john at admctr.chi.il.us *OR* fred at teacha.chi.il.us
(312) 998-5007 (Day voice) || -432-8860 (Answer Mach) && -432-5386 Modem