3b2 hards drives

Philip A. Gross pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
Sat Feb 24 05:41:39 AEST 1990

cyrill at scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) writes:

>Ok, I have a 72 meg CDC Wren II drive and tried to install it
>using 'idtools'. The format seemed to go fine and so did the verify.
>This is on a 3b2/310. I used the these params:
>id 5
>cyl 925
>trk/cyl 9
>sec/trk 18
>bytes/trk 512
>Then entered the bad track list and the software returned ok from
>verify ok. What does one do next? I tried to mkfs and received this:
>Bad sanity word in Vtoc on drive 1
>followed by 'mkfs' trying to make a file systems but bombing out with
>a read error. I must not be doing this correctly. Any help?

You need to put a VTOC on the drive by using the fmthard(1M) command.
This command is defined in the System Administration Reference Manual.
Also, take a look at the prtvtoc(1M) command to see what the vtoc table
should look like.  The task before you is to enter a vtoc as
shown in the example with the prtvtoc(1M) command into a file, then
execute the the fmthard(1M) command as given here:

fmthard -c2 -m -s file_with_vtoc -n volume_name /dev/rdsk/c?d?s6

I am assuming with the -c2 option that this is the second disk.  If this
second disk is daisy chained off of the root drive, then the device to
use is most likely /dev/rdsk/c1d1s6, if this is a disk off of a XDC card,
then the device might be /dev/rdsk/c2d0s6 or /dev/rdsk/c2d1s6.  Determining
the correct device name is left as an exercise for the student.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		...!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)
Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com