UNIX PC STARLAN ioctl() calls, URP protocol, streams, questions...

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc5.umbc.edu
Thu Jun 7 02:17:38 AEST 1990

In article <1199 at icus.ICUS.COM> lenny at icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>While a lot of you are getting in a frenzy with the WIN/3B TCP/IP Ethernet
>stuff, I felt it was necessary to pose a few questions to the net on STARLAN.

	I can trade a little info here ...

	Intel sells a package with (two each) starlan chips, transformers,
blank circuit cards and instructions for about $65. The cards use an XT bus,
and there is some MSDOS software for playing with them. I have the kit, and
I'm seriously considering scoring a used XT motherboard and power supply for
use in a slave controller. I'm figuring a remopte print spooler, thermostat
furnace control, etc, all out of an PC mounted on a piece of plywood in the
phone closet.

	Now, for that little tidbit, I have a question. What do I have to
do to get cu to work with this stuff? uucp works fine over starlan, but cu
just hangs and times out after connectung to pc_uucp at the other end of the
line. I installed the starlan software and HDB via the install program, and
the starlan documentation doesn't mention cu at all. (nor does the HDB docs
mention starlan).

	Does anybody have HDB and starlan working together in all ways?

#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #                 Systems Programmer
#with me deserves what they get.#    University of Maryland Baltimore County