Death of various 3B things

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Thu Jun 28 21:13:53 AEST 1990

3B2-600s actually make fairly decent machines.  If anything kills
or has killed the 3B2 line, it is lack luster marketing as usual.

My favorite AT&T marketing misfit is the 7300/3B1.  The 3B1 is sort
of the Studebaker Avanti of computers (though the 3B1 case was not
designed by Raymond Lowe).  When the 7300 was introduced about 6
years ago, the 3B1 could make the low end 3B2 products look slow in
the compute power department.  Of course 3B2s hold up much better
as users are added, and 3B2s had much better Winchesters than early
7300s.  Even now, many people that see my 3B1 say, "Oh where did
you get that unusual looking terminal?"  I point out that the
terminal runs multi-user Unix and has a MIPS rating about equal to
a Vax 750.  The response is usually, "Oh, I thought it took a Mac
II to do that."  "The 3B1 has been doing that for about six years."
"GEE!"  "No, AT&T"  "Oh?..."  (Well actually Convergent
Technology...)

==Bill==
--

Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511