what happened to /etc/ttytypes?

Dave Jenks jetfuel at csusac.csus.edu
Fri Jun 29 15:55:03 AEST 1990

In article <4949 at daffy.cs.wisc.edu> harier!sparkie at cs.wisc.edu writes:
>I was looking in my manual recently.  The manual that I have is for the 3.51 OS.
>and the tset(1) info makes reference to /etc/ttytypes(5) for which I can find
>neither an actual file nor a page in my manuals.
>
>Am I missing something from my manuals, or is it just not there?  Does anyone
>have the format that this file is _supposed_ to take?  I've looked on other
>unix systems that I have access to.  On the three systems I've looked on, none
>of them have an /etc/ttytypes file.

Funny, I was noticing the same thing today!

I wrote another /etc/rc which was a lot cleaner, and remembered a BSD
system (a VAX 11/750 running ULTRIX - a BSD look-alike) that had it.
I looked at the /etc/ttytype file so that I would be creating the "same"
"compatible" format.

A piece of mine looks like this:

pc7300	/dev/w1
pc7300	/dev/w2
tvi925	/dev/tty000
dumb	/dev/ph1

and so on.  The fields are separated by tabs, but maybe spaces would be
safer.  Either way, I haven't noticed any trouble with tset.