Installing EGA or VGA in an AT&T PC6300

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Thu Jun 14 07:05:33 AEST 1990

I have appended an article that appeared on this net a while back
that gives pretty complete details on the topic.  I can't really
add anything myself.

I am using an STB EGA+ board in the 6300 where I am typing this
very article.  The STB was (is??) one of the few EGA cards that can
operate at 25 KHz, which means that you don't have to junk your
original AT&T color monitor if you have one.  If you are starting
with a monochrome system, you might as well get a Paradise VGA+/16
and a Sony 1304 monitor ... that happens to be my favorite
combination.  The VGA+/16 can operate in either 8 or 16 bit slot,
as the VGA+/16's BIOS has auto sensing.

The bad part of switching to EGA or VGA on the 6300 is that many
lazy programmers do 16 bit writes to the I/O ports on the EGA
board.  Becuase the PC6300 was introduced before the IBM AT, the
6300 has a low byte - high byte order sent to the I/O bus opposite
of the way IBM does it.  That means that 16 bit writes on the 6300
usually wind up with crashed programs.  D-R GEM Desktop is one of
the relatively few applications that work correctly out of the
box.  There is a hardware solution to the mixed-up bytes, as is
mentioned in the article below.

==Bill==