UNIX PC STARLAN ioctl() calls, URP protocol, streams, questions...

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Thu Jun 7 13:03:17 AEST 1990

In article <3398 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> alex at umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Alex S. Crain) writes:
|>In article <1199 at icus.ICUS.COM> lenny at icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|>>While a lot of you are getting in a frenzy with the WIN/3B TCP/IP Ethernet
|>>stuff, I felt it was necessary to pose a few questions to the net on STARLAN.
|>
|>	I can trade a little info here ...
|>
|>	Intel sells a package with (two each) starlan chips, transformers,
|>blank circuit cards and instructions for about $65. The cards use an XT bus,
|>and there is some MSDOS software for playing with them. I have the kit, and
[...]
Thanks for the tips, but I wonder if the MSDOS software really talks using
the same protocol (URP) instead of the OSI protocol used in the newer STARLAN
and STARLAN-10 boards.

|>	Now, for that little tidbit, I have a question. What do I have to
|>do to get cu to work with this stuff? uucp works fine over starlan, but cu
|>just hangs and times out after connectung to pc_uucp at the other end of the
[...]
Yes, it's a pain since you're right there is no docs.  I posted a program
solution to unix-pc.sources (rlogin) which connects faster anyhow.

|>	Does anybody have HDB and starlan working together in all ways?

Here goes...

/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers:

SLAN_uucico ""	"" NLPS:000:001:102\N\c

/usr/lib/uucp/Sysfiles:

service=cu	systems=Systems.cu:Systems

/usr/lib/uucp/Systems.cu:

icusdvlp Any STARLAN_OTHER -

/usr/lib/uucp/Systems:

icusdvlp Any;5 STARLAN_NAU - icusdvlp ogin:--ogin:--ogin: Uicus

/usr/lib/uucp/Devices:
#
# Starlan network connection
#
STARLAN_NAU,eg starlan - Any STARLAN \D.serve SLAN_uucico
STARLAN_OTHER starlan - Any STARLAN

Also, which I don't remember if this was a prerequisite of the STARLAN
cu work, I created a /dev/psx directory and created some devices called
p0, p1, p2 ... p9

total 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  0 Oct 20  1989 p0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  1 Feb 26 21:08 p1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  2 Oct 10  1989 p2
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  3 Oct 11  1989 p3
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  4 Oct 11  1989 p4
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  5 Oct 11  1989 p5
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  6 Oct 11  1989 p6
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  7 Oct 11  1989 p7
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  8 Oct 11  1989 p8
crw-rw-rw-  1 root    root     13,  9 Oct 11  1989 p9

The /dev/p0 device is created by the psx device driver within STARLAN
when /usr/bin/cu starts a STARLAN login.  It's weird.  But I think
for some reason the errno=6 return is because it looks for the device.

For those that wonder... the major number 13 is gotten from the masterupd -l:

[...]
13	psx	psx	ioctl write read close open release char

It's probably different on your machine!

This should help?!  If not, rlogin will.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |