Meaningful Prof Output from a 3B1?

Kevin Darcy kevin at cfctech.cfc.com
Sat Jun 16 11:10:32 AEST 1990

Does anyone know the magic incantations to get reasonable prof output on a
3B1/7300/UNIXPC? I am trying to tune parts of a software project, and I really
need to have access to those performance figures, but my prof output contains no
routine names except for library routines (and I'm not trying to tune *them*
:-). My routines are there (some of the call counts are familiar), but the
"name" column is BLANK, and, without names, I can't really tell one from the
other. No names, no tuning.

Yes, I'm compiling everything with cc -p.

And the names _are_ in the executable (they're findable by nm, at least).

I've RTFM'ed till I'm blue in the face. The only option which even looks
vaguely relevant to my problem is prof -g, and while that changes the output
somewhat, it still doesn't give me the names of my routines.

Do I have to manually match each routine in the prof output with addresses in
the executable/object somehow? I can't believe that...

I've used prof on 3B2's with no problem - why is it so strange on a 3B1? I
thought the utility had been around a while.

I will summarize responses, if appropriate.
kevin at cfctech.cfc.com 		    | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin            | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		    | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		    | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034