3B2/400 console munged

Joe Wood jlw at lzga.ATT.COM
Thu Jun 14 23:04:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun12.202556.26120 at cbnewsj.att.com> k2ph at cbnewsj.att.com (The QRPer) writes:
>I just put up a 3B2/400S60 with SVR3.2 with an old AT&T 4425
>terminal as the console and am getting some strange things
>happening.  Non-root users cannot change their passwords
>from the console (it simply says "Sorry").  If you login as
>root on the console and attempt to change password, it will
>select a password for you without asking for input!

The last time this happened to me I had inadvertantly removed
/dev/tty which the password subroutine opens explicitly to
get your password.  It doesn't check the return from the
open.  I bet you reconfigured /dev by rm'ing /dev/tty* and
re'mknod'ding.   BTW this was many moons ago, but the last
time I checked the sacred source, it was still doing it.

Joe Wood
jlw at lzga.ATT.COM