Who is "logged in" when you are running multiple login windows?

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Mon Mar 19 16:38:52 AEST 1990

In article <871 at galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:

|I am working on a replacement for the window manager and the status
|manager.  This program will include all the features of the 3.51 wmgr and
|smgr programs, with the exception of cron functions, and will also include
|some of the features of the "hotkey" program that I released a while ago
|and some features of the replacement wmgr program that was posted.  One of
|the features of the replacement wmgr that I have included is the ability to
|create multiple login windows on the console.  The "hotkey" capability
|allows each user to define a command that is to be run when one of the
|shifted function keys is pressed.

	I'm confused about why there's a problem.
	I run 4 login windows on the console all
	the time under wmgr.  I just added more
	entries to /etc/inittab (vi2, vi3, vi4)
	so that each getty gets a separate window.
	Shift-suspend & shift-resume move back &
	forth between them.

	The first window in the list (when one
	clicks on the "W" icon in the top right
	corner of the screen) owns the mail, phone,
	calendar, etc...

	I have a question of my own - can one allocate
	more than 12 windows in the new kernel? I've
	tried all sorts of stuff in 3.51 but nothing
	above /dev/w12 ever gets activated...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `/v/-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
_/  \_	 "So far from God, so close to the United States" - Old Mexican proverb