3.5" drives and tape drive in Unix PC

Brad Isley bgi at stiatl.UUCP
Fri Mar 9 01:07:08 AEST 1990

In article <9980 at cbnewsm.ATT.COM> madcat at cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Marty Donaldson) writes:
>From article <9221 at stiatl.UUCP>, by bgi at stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley):
>> configured for an IBM PeeCee it  WILL NOT WORK.  Sony's recent offerings in
>> the 3.5" size are hardwired for PeeCee compatibility - no jumpers. :-(
>> I know it won't work, I tried.  Gotta have jumpers.

Oops, I didn't mean drive select jumpers, I meant interface config jumpers.

>I got that Sony drive from Jameco. Works great on my 7300, 4meg, 3.51m,
>and two 20meg hd's. But you have to:
>
>1). add a 34 contact IDC socket connector to the current floppy ribbon cable,
>    this drive can not use the card-edge connector like the 5 1/4" drive.

This has to be a different drive.  The one I tried was from Soft Warehouse.
It had the "standard" card-edge connection.  It caused spurious interrupts
and resets etc.  I guess the major point is that I can make the Mitsubishi
and Teac work, but Sony had to be a real sleaze and remove the config jumpers
from some of their newer drives.  I'd rather have had the Sony, but the model
I tried was impossible.  I was able to take the computer into Soft Warehouse
and play with it until I got something to work.  I wasn't about to attempt
this through mail-order.

How about telling us the model number of the Sony that works ?
--
Brad Isley, yer local tools blacksmith.