Second Printer on /dev/lp

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at icjapan.info.com
Tue Mar 13 22:14:37 AEST 1990

I've wracked my brains on this one for many hours.  Thus I turn to the
net.

We sometimes use our parallel printer to print checks.  When we are
doing this, we want to prevent normal print jobs from printing.  My
idea (stolen) is to create a second printer on /dev/lp called 'Checks'.
Before we start printing checks, we would:
disable Epson
enable Checks

But I can't figure out how to get this second printer configured.  I
have tried both as user 'root' and as user 'lp', but lpadmin just
returns me my prompt without doing or saying anything.  This is true
even if I try deleting a non-existant printer or try to do something
when the scheduler is running.  A 'strings' of lpadmin shows error
messages for these conditions.

I am trying:
lpadmin -pChecks -cParallel -v/dev/lp -eEpson -mdumb

and other variations.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.